Latest news about Madrid plane crash tragedy

Video of accident at Barajas airport to be included in official investigation

Following the tragic plane accident at Barajas airport last Wednesday the judge investigating the circumstances surrounding the air crash in which over 150 people have died so far has announced that a video of the accident will be used as evidence during the investigation. The video which is the property of AENA lasting just 7 seconds is considered to be an important piece of evidence by the judge leading the investigation.

Investigations carried out to examine reports that an Argentinean television station broadcast the conversation between the pilots prior to the crash have found the claim to be false, and the Argentinean reporter has admitted that the conversation was “hypothetical reconstruction” of what could have been said. The channel originally claimed that the conversation between the pilots about to whether one of the plane´s engines was functioning correctly came from the black box.

So far the investigating judge has not received any reports into the Spanair accident from the Spanish National police although it is hoped that a report which includes witness statements will be handed over tomorrow by the Civil Guard. However, no reports have been received from the commission set up to investigate the accident or from other experts involved in the investigation yet.

Meanwhile the identification of the victims continues and according to the latest information available 86 bodies have been identified so far, a figure which the investigating judge considers to be satisfactory considering the conditions in which the bodies were recovered. This morning the Interior Minister said that the possibility of failing to identify some bodies could not be ruled out. He also said that there had been a level of tension in relations between the Government and Spanair on the afternoon of the accident – last Wednesday – but that the airline was now fully cooperating with the investigation.

This morning a six-year old boy became the first survivor to be discharged from hospital. He was travelling on the plane with his sister who died in the tragedy.