| || ||
of Foreign Affairs.
Angel Moratinos, the new Minister of Foreign Affairs of Spain, is an experienced
diplomat and politician. Born in 1951 in Madrid, Moratinos holds a degree in Law
and Political Sciences and is fluent in French and English. He also knows some
Russian and Serbo-Croatian.
He holds the following honours:
* 1974-1979: Director - Head of the
Eastern Europe Coordination Desk
* 1979-1980: First Secretary at the
Spanish Embassy in Yugoslavia
* 1980-1984: Chargé d'affaires
at the Spanish Embassy in Yugoslavia
* 1984-1987: Political adviser
at the Spanish Embassy to Rabat
* 1987-1991: Deputy Director General
for Northern Africa
* 1991-1993: Director General of the Institute for
Cooperation with the Arab World
* 1993-1996: Director General of Foreign
Policy for Africa and the Middle East when Javier Solana was Foreign Affairs Minister
* 1996: Ambassador of Spain in Israel
EU Special Representative for the Middle East Peace Process.
* 2004- : Foreign
Minister of Spain.
Moratinos is married to a French woman and has three
children. He is committed to finding peaceful ways to end the conflict in the
Middle East. A firm believer in a strong Europe, one of his priorities is to improve
Spanish relations with key member states of the European Union.
Angel Moratinos, Spanish Foreign Minister, in the news